#Tuesday Tips – Use Custom Lists to Organize Your Friends and Pages
Facebook’s Smart Lists are like many other computer features in my opinion – impressive in execution and quantity; disappointing in practical application.
You know this frustration. You really do want to list your co-worker’s spouse with the others from your work place. You try to add her, and FB sends a confirmation request to her. Well, she doesn’t work there, so she won’t confirm that affiliation. Perhaps you like hundreds of pages – movies, restaurants, causes, stores – and you need to organize them. We’ve talked before about FB becoming the new Yellow Pages.
So – Custom Lists will accomplish your goals, and they are your best defense against the overly-effective Smart Lists. Maximum flexibility and control will come from using acronyms for naming your Lists. Keep them a bit cryptic. Otherwise, some of the new programming in FB will convert them to Smart Lists, and you will lose the control that you may want.
It’s pretty easy!
There are several great restaurants in my hometown, and I ‘Like’ many of them so I can keep up with their specials and events. Let’s create a Custom List so I can readily view the posts from my favorite food joints:
- Because this Custom List will hold mostly pages, it’s best to select the “Interests” section from the left column (near the bottom) of the Home profile.
- Select “Add Interests” at the center section top right
- Select “Create List” at the center section top right.
- Highlight “Pages”; click “Next”; and add the name of the Custom List. I want this List to be PGS-FFJ (Pages – Favorite Food Joints). Who can see this list? I selected “Friends” as I am willing to share my taste in Favorite Food Joints with my Friends. Select “Done”.
- Now let’s “Add Pages” – and the fun begins.
- Select “Pages” at the center section upper left as businesses will be added to this list. I’ll start with Addison’s – a fine CoMo establishment. Of course, I’ll probably add Sophia’s and Shakespeare’s and …. (later). For now click “Finish”.
- Voila! – a Custom List! I can always select PGS-FFJ on the left column to keep up-to-date with favorite food specials, and I can “Manage List” on the upper right after that selection to “Edit List” to add or subtract from it.